Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What I have, What I wish for ...

My media center has technology which students can use to access information, create presentations and communicate with others- although we don’t allow students to email. I do encourage teachers to follow up or extend the learning if I’ve hit upon something that the students can benefit from- such as subscription databases that can help them with research and personalized booklists that they can create in Destiny. And yes, I do welcome new opportunities to learn new technology.

I wish that the computer lab was physically attached to the library, but it isn’t. It’s one floor below me, on the other side of the building … Makes for a logistical nightmare if I want to take a couple of my classes there.

I have an LCD projector in the library and 7 student computers. When I plan a lesson that will include technology- say, a scavenger hunt, for instance, I make the computers one of the “stations.” The kids will travel to several sections of the library to complete the scavenger hunt. When I want students to use a variety of sources for an inquiry project, I will design it so that the computers will only be one component in their research process.

I wish I had a seat on the Technology Committee, because I would like to become involved with district wide technology decisions. I will be revisiting this issue with my principal before the start of the next school year.

My professional goals:
Continue using technology when appropriate to help my students become 21st century learners
Stay current with respect to new trends and tools in technology
Collaborate and work with entire grade levels to make sure we are all on the same page
Continue to offer staff development

No comments: