Monday, February 11, 2008

Hug Your Librarian

Back in 2004, a colleague, Joyce Valenza, wrote an article called, "Ten Reasons to Hug Your School Librarian." The article was published under the auspices of Classroom Connect and it was directed at classroom teachers. The closing line of her article has stayed with me. "Librarians get their kicks from making you look good. Not only do they help learners learn, they help teachers teach."

I copied and distributed the article to all my teachers and then went around to all the classrooms for my hug. I warned the teachers before- hand that I was going to be visiting the classroom for my hug and the kids thought it was hilarious.

This was also the article that inspired me to redouble my efforts to find teachers who would collaborate with me. Although this is not the latest article on school library advocacy, it's still a goodie. Check it out ... www.sdst.org/shs/library/pdf/hug.pdf

No comments: