Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Test Scores

Our school district has invested a lot of money in technology this year. The kids are using computer programs to help them boost their test scores in math and reading.

My contribution to boosting test scores is teaching information literacy skills: how to use a table of contents, index, and glossary to locate and synthesize information more efficiently. I also ask students to locate specific facts in the World Book Encyclopedia. I'm seeing mixed results, which doesn't surprise me. I have explained to each 4th and 5th grade teacher the particular weakness that needs to be addressed in their classroom before the tests begin the end of March. I hope they follow up ...

Next week, I'm going to have my 5th grades put their shelves in order. They "adopted" their shelves in November, in conjunction with their study of decimals in their math classes. The teachers love that reinforcement and I love neat, orderly shelves!

No comments: